International Travel Nursing has become a growing field lately and is helping to provide some relief in the nursing shortage in the USA. Organizations are finding qualified nurses from a variety of other countries and bringing them into the U.S. to practice at hospitals and other healthcare organizations. This has been a great benefit to the healthcare industry because medical organizations often find themselves understaffed and it is very difficult to offer the best quality of healthcare to patients without the proper amount of qualified nurses.
How Does the Process Work?
Professional Staffing Agencies such as Ascend National are very skilled at finding and screening qualified applicants in order to place them in the best possible jobs. Each candidate is interviewed and then processed through the JCAHO qualifications. The vigorous qualifications include:
- Two years of recent experience in specialty
- Current licensure or certification, if required
- Current certifications, if required: BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC, NRP or AWHONN
- Consistent work experience
The screening process involves:
- Application form
- Competency / Skills screening based on Specialty
- General JCAHO Testing which includes ( OSHA, Age Specific Patient Care, HIPPA, etc.)
- Passing score of 80 percent and above is required on all examinations for Employment
- Detail Criminal Background check and Drug Screen
- Professional Reference check
- Recent employment verification
- Credentials required at interview
- Drivers License
- Social Security Card / Immigration Work Permit
- BCLS, ACLS, PALC, TNCC, etc.
- Current TB skin Test or Chest x-ray report within last 5 years
- Immunization Records
- Hepatitis vaccination record
- Current Professional License where applicable
Ascend National Healthcare Staffing assists nurses with finding the right job and also offers a number of other benefits, including:
- Daily Advance / Global Cash Card
- Health Insurance
- Flexible Work Hours
- Referral Bonuses for getting others to sign up
- Competition Bonuses for performance
- Travel Assignments if you would like to explore other areas and/or work with different populations
- Help finding housing or affiliated housing units if you need a place to stay
- Per Diem
- Mileage Reimbursement for miles traveled while working
- And more
What Types of Jobs
As a nurse, one can be placed in a variety of different settings. Nurses can be staffed in both large or small hospitals, doctor’s offices, clinics and more. There are both temporary and permanent jobs depending on the length of work nurses are looking for. They can choose from a variety of locations depending on which area they would like to live in. Ascend has offices in Odessa, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston and provides staffing opportunities all over the country.
International nursing can open up a career to a wide variety of opportunities. Nurses could end up working at a hospital in an exciting destination that they want to stay in permanently. There are positions open in leading healthcare facilities including tertiary care facilities, community hospitals, medical centers, acute-care facilities, pediatric medical centers and more. Depending on the area of practice and background, nurses can choose exactly the right fit so they can work with the patients they like best. There are so many facilities in the U.S. that can use qualified nurses on staff and so many patients that will benefit from the help.
Things to Know Before Signing Up
In order to work in the U.S., nurses will need a signed, valid passport and will want to keep it with them at all times – this is the main form of personal ID. Make sure to have an emergency contact listed in the passport as well.
Nursing in the U.S. can be a very rewarding and lucrative experience. Travel can help enrich one as a person, especially when traveling for an extended period of time in order to really get to know another country and city. There are a lot of opportunities for nurses in the U.S. that are worth considering for someone who wants to expand their horizons and learn about another country.
Providing healthcare is one of the most important jobs in the world. Patients across the U.S. deserve to be treated by highly qualified professional nurses and will benefit from a nurse’s help during their doctor’s visits and hospital stays. It’s a wonderful opportunity to branch out, meet new people, explore a new part of the world and offer services at a wonderful and professional organization in the U.S.
If any nurses are interested in an international nursing opportunity, they are in for a wonderful and enriching adventure! The first step is contacting Ascend National Healthcare in order to schedule an appointment to start discussing the next steps and the opportunities that could be available. Make the appointment today to get started!